School dormitory in Kisii reduced to ashes in mysterious fire incident


Mosensema Secondary School in Kisii County is counting losses after a fire razed down a dormitory.

Principal Gad Ombongi said that the mysterious weekend fire broke out at night and reduced the dormitory with a capacity of 150 students to ashes.

He confirmed that all students present during the incident escaped unhurt.

Ombongi thanked villagers who responded swiftly to put out the fire which was caused by an electrical fault.

“Men of good heart from the surrounding area tried to put the fire but the fire was too much,” he said.

He appealed to well-wishers to visit the school and donate mattresses, beds, blankets and other personal effects to assist students to continue with their studies.

Among the earliest people to visit the school was Bombaba Ward MCA Beatrice Makwabe who donated blankets and bed sheets.

Makwabe thanked well-wishers who had already sent their donations to assist the affected boys.

“We may not help much but if we come together in our small way we can accomplish a lot,” she said.

Kenyenya Sub County Director of Education (SCDE) George Ouma assured parents that all their children were safe.

“We are coordinating with relevant authorities to make sure that learners settle for their studies as soon as possible,” he said.

The fire incident is the third one in the area this term after two other incidents at Nyakoiba and Kebabe SDA Secondary schools which lost two dormitories each.

By Enock Okong’o

Get more stories from our website: Education News 

To write to us or offer feedback, you can reach us at:

You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE  and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.

>>> Click here to stay up-to-date with trending regional stories

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Don`t copy text!