Machogu: Only 145,000 KCSE 2022 candidates have applied to join TVET colleges

Education CS Ezekiel Machogu addressing participants during the WorldSkills Kenya National Competition at the Kenya School of TVET. Photo Obegi Malack.

Sharing is caring!

Education Cabinet Secretary (CS) Ezekiel Machogu has disclosed that only 145,000 2022 KCSE candidates have applied to join Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions across the country.

Speaking during the closing ceremony of the inaugural WorldSkills Kenya National Competition at the Kenya School of TVET, he urged the youth to enrol in the institutions affirming that government funding for TVET students has doubled from Ksh5 billion to Ksh10 billion yearly.

Machogu noted that the new education financing model is student-centered and will see students in the Vulnerable and Extremely Needy categories receive full funding.

The government will provide vulnerable students with 70 per cent of the fees through scholarships while the remaining 30 per cent will be catered for by loans repayable when they complete their education.

For extremely needy students, the government will pay their fees in its entirety, while the needy and less needy students will receive a percentage from the government.

“The government has made education accessible to every Kenyan to ensure equity and maintain high education standards,” he said.

Machogu said that the country has over 300,000 students in the TVET sector and they are targeting to boost the number up to 5 million students in the next five years.

A total of 870,561 candidates who sat for KCSE last year were eligible for placement to universities and colleges.

By Obegi Malack

Get more stories from our website: Education News 

To write to us or offer feedback, you can reach us at:

You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE  and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.

Hits: 48

Don`t copy text!